Saturday, July 31, 2010

Let the games begin!!!

Hey Folks!
Sorry I'm a little late...just let me catch my breath!  Note to self no marathons unless I quit smoking!

So the campaign for Emperor and Empress XXXV started on July 28, 2010, and what a start it had!  It was a crazy couple weeks leading up to the start with many 2:00 am nights.  Posters to design, sash to create, emails to send, business cards to get done, photos to catch up on and lots of communication!  But we were ready to go and my campaign actually started in the wee early morning hours of July 28 with a facebook status change!  WOW! Over 30 well wishes by the time I got home from work that day.  Thanks to those of you who visited me on Lj Steele's Fan Page on face book!  It is now coincidentally changed to Lj Steele for Emperor XXXV!

So I am the sole candidate for Emperor XXXV and my counterpart is a queen in the city of champions that goes by the name of Dee Luv.  Now we are no strangers to each other as 2 years ago we ran as prince and princess XXXII together.  So we know what we were getting into when we decided we wanted to be together as Emperor and Empress.  We work well together and just seem to compliment each other even if she is old enough to be my mother...or father depending on which way he's tucked!  What this means being sole candidates is that we actually are simply campaigning against ourselves for a YES or NO vote.  Even though we are out there working towards stepping up next year, we are out there to support the end of the 34th Imperial Reign of Big Daddy Pump and Ivanna Diamonds...

So we started out night out at Woody's pub...Dee decided to start there as she was thinking of wings as she hadn't eaten...have you ever tried to eat chicken wings in drag with lipstick on?  Not a pretty sight!  Luckily she bows out of the chicken (well the food anyways cause there was enough young skinny boys out that night) and we kick off our fist stop of the night.  Terrance is the manager of Woody's and we listen to some of the local patrons singing Karaoke!  Some were great and some well....lets just say they won't be on American Idol for any reason!  But kudos to them for getting up there....I know its not easy getting up on a mike!  So from there we head over to PRISM www.prismbar.ca.  But not before we stop in to our soon to be newcomer to the gay bars Junction!  Deb and Tracy, current owners of Prism have been working feverishly with members of our community to get what used to be BOOTS Bar revamped and up and running for our entire community, not focusing on any one staple of our community!  Its coming along and the plans they have are wonderful!  I sit eagerly by awaiting its open.  Maybe I will even try and swing down next week and grab a hammer to help!

So at PRISM its our local wing and Karaoke bar on a Wednesday night and many supporters of our organization are there awaiting our arrival despite nearly being carried off by mosquito's!  And believe me with all the reign we have had in Edmonton, my elbows and ankles look like pin cushions!  Popping in we have a couple cocktails and sing a couple songs before wanting to head to our next location.  I do have to say a special thanks to Dayzi and Jeffylube XXXpress for bringing me back a gift from their New York trip...when I said bring me back something sparkly they listened!  I know have two beautifully sequined fedoras to add to my already extensive hat collection....loves my sparkly precious!

Our next stop is Play Niteclub, our trance and house contender.  Wonderful subterranean location and great vibe!  Its the pre-shambalah party tonight and for anyone who has ever gone knows what a party Shambalah Music Festival can be.  Its a little quiet but of course we are super early so this gives Dee and I a great opportunity to open up and share some of our past experiences.  You know...the typical first date chatter...and if we are to be husband and wife this upcoming year then communication is the key!  This is a valuable conversation and I was so happy we got the chance to just sit and chat!

Lastly we are off to Buddy's which is the same location as Woody's but just downstairs.  www.buddysedmonton.com.  One thing you can always count on is this bar...they are ALWAYS there when you need them and the staff there couldn't be friendlier!  It was my major haunt back when I was a skinny little go go boy twink!  Oh the glory days....So after a few cocktails and some chit chat with the staff our night has come to an end for night one of a fabulous campaign.

Our next official campaign show is August 7 at Prism so hope to see you all out and about!

No comments:

Post a Comment